Monday, September 21, 2009

How To: Hem a Lined Coat

This coat is still in great condition with many more years of wear left in it, the length just didn't fit the owner's lifestyle anymore. So I hemmed it. Not hard to do, just pay attention to what it looks like to start with.
There is a bias strip of interfacing in the hem, so I removed that to reuse.



I marked the cutting line, after allowing for the generous hem.


After trimming off the extra fabric, I repositioned the interfacing and machine stitched in the hem allowance so it doesn't show on the outside. Coats usually have this type of hem to help support the weight of the heavy fabric-so don't be tempted to skip it!


Another view.





Trim the lining shorter than the coat hem so it doesn't peek out.


I use a catch stitch to hold the interfacing to the coat fabric.






For a fancy touch- machine embroidery!







The finished hem looks as good as the first one and looks even better inside!







3 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, how wonderful. I would have better luck splitting an atom than I would doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Actually it is not as hard as you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. finally i can make my coat wearable!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!