Thursday, April 8, 2010

How To: Spring Placemat Purse



I had this place mat and realised it would look great with many of my spring and summer outfits! I also had a skirt I wasn't wearing anymore, so I cut the side panels for the purse, using the hem as the upper edge.






I measured across the front to find the middle. I installed a magnetic snap and removed the shank on a button and hot glued it to the outside to cover the back of the snap.







These are my side panels. In the end, I made them narrower- 2 3/8"x6". I had to hand sew the sides to the place mat because the mat I chose has bamboo threaded through it and it is very stiff. If your mat is softer, you could probably machine sew the sides on.








I also hand sewed a cord on for the shoulder strap.

1 comment:

  1. Best placemat purse I have ever seen. Lovely. I have a stash of placemats I've been wanting to make something with. I'll try your tutorial to see if I can create something as beautiful as you did. Lovely. Thank you!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!