Thursday, June 10, 2010

How to: Easy Drawstring Gift and Goody Bag


I am getting ready for my son's 8th birthday party.  Each year, I make fabric drawstring goody bags for his friends.  Sometimes I use a theme fabric, other times just party print.  I usually get the favors first and then make the bag the right size, then the children can use the bag at home to keep toys in, etc.
I cut two pieces of fabric the right size, 8"x8" for example.  Right sides together, sew around 3 sides, stopping 1 1/2" from the top edge on one side.  Turn down the 1 1/2" as shown in the picture and press with iron or just your fingers.  Remember: these bags don't have to be perfect!  I make 25 at a time. 
Next, turn down the top edge 3/4".  I should mention here that I serged all my seams and edges, but it works just fine to finish them another way (zigzag, pink).
After stitching the casing (which is really just a hem with an opening for a drawstring), cut a length of ribbon and thread it through the casing using a safety pin.
I tie a knot in the ends so the ribbon won't slide out.  The bag is ready to hold party favors, pinata treasures, or a gift for someone.  People love discovering that the bag is part of, and matches, the present!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!