Tuesday, November 17, 2009

English Colonial Ball Gown 1770

Here is a gown I wore at a recent ball. Actually I made it 17 years ago! I do English country dancing from the 1700's.
It is loads of fun! A lot of dancers (me included) wear gowns that are not authentic reproductions. We sew on sewing machines, use modern fabrics and trims and don't wear corsets. We aim for the general look of a time period. It is easier and more comfortable for dancing.

I used a polished cotton and made the trim myself out of a very long strip of fabric gathered in a zigzag pattern. The front flower is an applique taken from the skirt fabric and then I embroidered over top of it. I have a separate chemise underneath, that the lace is attached to so I can wash that without having to launder the whole dress each time. The front panel (stomacher) closes with snaps down one side. Underneath is a lace up section to take the strain off the snaps.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing garment, and how much fun is the dancing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love the dancing and seeing all of the wonderful gowns. I always want to come home and sew!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!