Friday, February 18, 2011

Happy Villages by Karen Eckmeier

I had the best time making a Happy Village- it felt like playing.  I used Karen Eckmeier's very easy instructions.
 I used fabric already in my stash, and arranged the shapes, then added the roofs and details.  Cover the whole thing with tulle and stitch.
 Adding the church was my idea.  My village is roughly 16"x16".  I bound mine, but in the book, Karen has the villages backed with felt that frames it from behind.  I just didn't have any felt on hand.
 Even the back looks really neat, with all the stitching.
I will definitely be sewing more of these!  My next village will have trees and maybe a fountain.

2 comments:

  1. This looks great Cynthia! Way to change up the pattern and make it yours! I love your idea of adding some park/recreational elements! Are the fabrics paper pieced or did you just turn the edges under and stitch down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No paper involved. It is all raw edged, the tulle goes on top and then I free-motion machine quilted around each shape!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!