Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Recycled Dress into Sarong Skirt

I had this dress (sorry I forgot to take a picture of it before), that I wasn't wearing anymore.  It was boxy on top, buttons up the front and gathered long skirt.  Not in style anymore and actually I wore it while I was pregnant (9 years ago!).  Time for a remake.  I cut the skirt off and saved the real shell buttons for another project.  I sewed one pocket shut.  Now I had a large rectangle with a hem and 2 sides finished off (button plackets without buttons).  I hemmed the top edge and bunched up one corner and secured it.  I added an inside button that uses an existing buttonhole when it is wrapped.
 I added elastic to the back waist to pull it in a little.  See inside view above and the back view below.
 I had this lovely shell inlaid silver leaf pin to help hold the overlap shut.
 An easy sarong to wear this summer that is way more attractive than the old maternity dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!