Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Feel for Color Exhibit by Sally Barker

I recently saw this exhibit at the Children's Museum of  Richmond.  Sally Barker recreated famous paintings as quilts full of texture for the visually impaired.  All of the quilts, roughly 20" (just an estimation!) were hung low because it was a children's museum after all.  I enjoyed the visual impact and then I went around again with my eyes closed so I could appreciate the tactile aspect.  Sally Barker not only used different fabrics, but she also used cardboard or something to make some areas recessed and others more prominent.  It was fun to actually be encouraged to touch the quilts because usually it is hands off!  Here are my favorites:
 A Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh
 Jane Avril by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
 The Fall of Icarus by Henri Matisse
 Woman Seated in a Chair by Pablo Picasso
 The Red Poppy by Georgia O'Keefe
The Scream by Edvard Munch

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent exhibit. Inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!