Thursday, May 21, 2009

Beaded Carnival Mask










I have been invited to a Canevale di Venezia (Carnival of Venice) dinner/dance! So here is my mask. I took a piece of paper and just started cutting until I had a shape and size that would work. Next I cut out a back and front of fabric and 1 piece of fusible fleece. I fused the fleece to the wrong side of the fabric. I sewed the 2 fabric pieces, right sides together, all around except for the eye holes. I clipped the corners and curves and turned it inside out through the eye holes. Press. As you can see above, I zigzag stitched the eyes. Then I started beading, gaining inspiration from the fabric design. I used a regular needle and thread with seed beads, bugle beads, iridescent sequins and others I had left over from past projects. I had these two organza shoe laces (I knew I would use them someday!) and I sewed them to the edges for ties. I beaded the ends to add weight and color. When I wear it, the short ends will hang down in front and the long ends will tie in back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!