Friday, June 26, 2009

Sewing Room Organization


My sewing room is also a laundry/exercise/kids' craft/spare freezer and occasional guitar building workshop as well! Finding a way to organize and store supplies is an ongoing challenge. The blue, 4 drawer file cabinet keeps my sewing books and idea notebooks mostly dust free. My husband made the terracotta colored drawers where I keep most of my fabric stash. It is mostly divided by color. I also have a knits drawer and a misc. one with novelty and hard to color-classify prints. I fold and store the fabric so I can see it all at a glance.







This method works really well for my t-shirt drawer too! The dark dresser has one drawer full of notions, needles, machine feet etc. Patterns and misc. items are in the rest. It is near my sewing area, so I can reach everything without ever getting up from my machine.











This white cabinet has zippers, elastic, serger thread, etc. For actual projects- I use baskets labeled cut, machine sew, hand sew, iron. This helps if I have several things going on at the same time. Also, I can grab the hand sew basket and take it with me because it has everything I need in it.










I use plastic zipper bags that sheets come in, to store everything needed for one project. Sometimes it makes sense to organize a project in bowls. My biggest obstacle is my nice big cutting table keeps getting buried under unrelated stuff. I try to clear it off each evening, so I can be inspired to sew. Do you have tips or methods of organizing to share? I'd love to hear from you!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!